How to Make a Kimekomi Ball! Ornament Along Week 9
This week we are going to learn a simple Kimekomi Ball design. If you would like to see all the possibilities with this technique, visit the Kimekomi Ornaments page of Ornament Designs. Her work is AMAZING. Make sure you check out the gorgeous and colorful Kimekomi Ball Ornaments made by Mister Domestic this week - his look awesome.
As usual I've written up instructions for this tutorial, but you can also watch this video I made!
2" polystyrene ball
tape measure (that you don't mind getting ink on)
seam ripper or large darning needle
Bead(s), glass head pins, and ribbon for hanging
1) Find the manufacturer's line on the center of the ball and draw a line. This is your equator. If there is no line, find the center as best you can. Ornament Designs has a tutorial for this on her site.
2) Find the North and South Poles by measuring the distance between the Equator lines from either direction and marking the half way point.
3) Draw a line connecting these points, all around the ball. Your ball is now divided into four wedges.
4) Mark the center of each line. Draw a line connecting these marks. Your ball is now divided into eight sections.
5) Cut into the lines, about 1/2 deep, with an exacto knife.
6) Use a seam ripper or darning needle to widen the opening on the lines.
7) Cut a piece of fabric about 1/2 inches larger on all sides than one section.
8) Starting in one corner, and using a seam ripper or darning needle, begin tucking the fabric into the lines.
9) When fabric is tucked into lines, trim excess.
10) Tuck in raw edges of fabric sticking up.
11) Continue until all sections are covered.
12) Embellish as you wish, and use a ribbon for hanging.
Make sure to use the hashtags #ornamentalong and #kimekomiballornament for your chance to win this week's prize. Purple Pineapple Studio has graciously offered to sponsor by donating one each of her 19 patterns! All of her patterns are made simple and offered on a postcard. I am working on the Hex On You and it's a lot of fun!