Hexiecomb: Foundation Blog Tour Project!
fabric shelves by WEFTY
When I saw Foundation Fabric it was love at first sight. This is a bright rainbow line full of hand drawn shapes. The designs remind me of shibori, english paper piecing, and tiles. Lots of tradition but with a wide spectrum of beautiful modern colors.
Designer Shayla Wolf sent me the line of fat quarters, and each was the perfect amount for one of my hexie shelves. The hexie shelf idea is one I've been kicking around a while, and it turned out so beautifully! I picked six fat quarters and made a Hexiecomb Fabric Shelf shaped like a flower for the girls' room.
All the individual hexagon shelves are hand sewn. First I glue-basted fabric to a set of card stock shapes and a set of cardboard shapes. I stitched each shape together before joining them to form a shelf. I am picky about visible stitches, so usually I painstakingly use a ladder stitch. However, for this I preferred to sew faster with a whipstitch, and opted for matching Aurifil 50wt. Kristin at Circa 15 Fabric Studio taught me to err on the side of a lighter shade of thread if you can't find a perfect match, and I'm thrilled with how my stitches look on these shelves! The shelves are then glued together with fabric fusion and hung using tiny ribbon loops.
I'll have a pattern available soon for the Hexiecomb. It's a really fun project, and full of so many opportunities for customizing shapes, color combinations, and designs! If you subscribe to my newsletter, you'll know right away when it's available.
So many shelf design possibilities!
hand sewn fabric shelves
I'm so grateful for the chance to play with this special new fabric line, and I'm really excited to see what everyone does with it ... check out the schedule of events below:
Foundation Fabric Blog Tour Schedule:
- Tuesday, February 6th: Shayla Wolf | Sassafras Lane Designs
- Wednesday, February 7th: Giuseppe Ribaudo | Giucy Giuce
- Thursday, February 8th: Tara Curtis | Wefty Needle
- Friday, February 9th: Nichole Vogelsinger | Wild Boho
- Saturday, February 10th: Robin Long | Robin Ruth Design
- Sunday, February 11th: Jessie Stern | Jessie Stern Sews
- Monday, February 12th: Jessica VanDenburgh | Sew Many Creations
- Tuesday, February 13th: Kristy Wolf | Wolf Creek Quilting
- Wednesday, February 14th: Sarah Sharp | No Hats in the House
- Thursday, February 15th: Nicole Daksiewicz | Modern Handcraft
- Friday, February 16th: Elise Baek | Elise & Emelie
- Saturday, February 17th: Kaitlyn Howell | Knot and Thread Design
- Sunday, February 18th: Sarah Thomas | Sariditty
- Monday, February 19th: Jo Westfoot | The Crafty Nomad
- Tuesday, February 20th: Shayla Wolf | Recap